Jessika's Reviews > Matilda: Tie-In

Matilda by Roald Dahl

May 16, 2010

bookshelves: children-s-books, favorites, fiction, own
Read from May 13 to 16, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Oh, how I love Roald Dahl! I remember getting up on my soapbox about how I think it's important for adults to read children's books when I reviewed The BFG, so I'll spare you all that rant for now :)

What makes Dahl really excel with both children and adults is that he never writes condescendingly. Even now, reading this as a 20-year-old, I didn't really feel like I was reading a children's book. At the same time, this book would definitely be ideal for reading aloud to kids. Actually, as I was reading this, my little brother (who's 8) came up to me, picked this book up and told me all about how his third-grade teacher read this to them a few weeks ago and how he thought it was so funny, especially Miss Trunchbull. Dahl's use of the language is absolutely phenomenal. Particularly hilarious were the insults that Miss Trunchbull threw out to the various students: "You bursting blister! You moth-eaten maggot! You mangled little wurzel!" It helped to transform an evil character like Miss Trunchbull into someone to be laughed at.

Obviously, though, what really made this book was Matilda. C'mon, what kid who considers themselves a reader doesn't identify with Matilda? She's an incredibly witty character and has a reading list that I know many adults are jealous of. She's even reached the single name status of many celebrities (Madonna, Beyonce, Cher...Matilda...)

All in all, this is an excellent book for all ages. I know I, for one, have Roald Dahl to thank for quite the interesting childhood, and I know I'll always read his books, no matter how grown up I am!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matilda.

05/15/2010 page 101
42.08% "Love love love this book. Roald Dahl will forever be one of my favorites!"
05/16/2010 page 159
66.25% "Omg I love Matilda. Roald Dahl has a way with words. He's hilarious!"