Jess's Reviews > Carrie

Carrie by Stephen King

Nov 28, 09

bookshelves: favorites, fiction, own, re-read, young-adult, horror, stephen-king
Read in October, 2009 — I own a copy, read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** Stephen King is my favorite author, without a doubt. If I had to nail it down to one thing, it's his character development. He takes seemingly normal people and weaves them into his tale in a way that makes even the most fanatical plot seem realistic. By the end of this novel, we not only know why, but we understand why Carrie basically blew up her town, and yet we also understand the fear and terror coursing through the citizens of Chamberlain while it's all going on. There wasn't a character in this novel that I felt as if I didn't personally know. SK makes it easy to envision voices, mannerisms, quirks and more to have his readers feel as though they know his characters as well as he does and as if we've known them our entire lives.

I also love how Stephen King writes like an ordinary Joe. A very talented ordinary Joe. I know a lot of authors like to sugarcoat the rawness of life with regards to drug use, sex, alcohol, etc. But Stephen King doesn't shy away from it. He tells it like it is. With this novel in particular, he really hits the nail on the head with the high school bullying and with just how mean kids can be. He touches upon domestic abuse. On fanatic religiosity. On the picture perfect Suzy "Creamcheese" lifestyle that many fall into after high school graduation in a small town. He says the things that we all think but aren't quite confident enough to say.

Carrie is an excellent example to use to point out his writing "voice," if you will. I think Stephen King is an excellent writer. I mean, damn, this man can write. I think it's safe to say that in his novels subsequent to Carrie, he writes like he knows he's good at what he does. And not in a cocky way, but really just in a confident way. And it works. Carrie is a good example to notice this. This being his first novel, I'm sure there was some trepidation...will the world be ready for this? As as avid Stephen King reader, every time I go back and re-visit Chamberlain, Maine, I can feel SK testing the waters. It doesn't take away from Carrie, not at all. I can almost hear him thinking, "I know this is good...but can you tell just how good it is?"

Even though this isn't SK's scariest or goriest, it is definitely a spooky read. Perfect for October! Stephen King has a knack for making the most far-fetched, fanatical ideas seem as though they could actually happen. Case in point, throughout this novel, various news articles, interviews, etc. touched upon the thought that Carrie is not the only one with this power out there...and what happens if we find out a bunch of people have TK? I mean, it's not like you could throw them into jail...they'd break out. You see? Imagine the implications for our world as a whole. He really makes you think, and that's what makes this story spooky. This wasn't just an isolated event in a small town in Maine. It could happen in your town next.

Overall, a fun book to read and revisit time and again. The story never gets old--you'll still find yourself getting caught up in the accelerating plot, and you might even find yourself holding your breath waiting to find out what will happen.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrie.

10/10/2009 page 26
10.61% "No matter how many times I read this, it's still just as good as the first :)" 1 comment

Lisa I read a lot of King many years ago, and this was one of my favs. The movie was such a disappointment to me.