Gyoh80525's Reviews > Now I Can Die in Peace: How ESPN's Sports Guy Found Salvation, with a Little Help from Nomar, Pedro, Shawshank, and the 2004 Red Sox

Now I Can Die in Peace by Bill Simmons

Jul 29, 09

This book is a series of columns written by the author (who is currently a columnist for espn.com) about what it was like to see the Red Sox win the World Series for the first time in 86 years. It is that actual columns written at the time with commentary written a few years later. The book is at times brutally funny (like when the author describes the "Tom Cruise face". Basically he's trying to look sad when Goose dies in Top Gun but it really looks like he is trying to take a dump) and at other times touchingly sad (like when the author debates whether he should raise his child to root for his team because being a Red Sox fan can be so painful).

One reason I read books is to be transported to another person's reality (whether made up or real) and to see his perspective. This book gives me a glimpse into the life of someone who has cheered for a team all his life but the team keeps losing in tragic fashion. Someone who begins to fear that he might live a full life and never see his team win. It gives me a perspective that I could never have had on my own. In the end I really sympathized for him and am now a little more glad that the Red Sox did finally win.

In fact, I might just now root for the Cubs. (OK, maybe not!)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Now I Can Die in Peace.