Jess Michaelangelo's Reviews > The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

Nov 06, 10

bookshelves: series, favorites, fiction, own, young-adult
Read from October 24 to November 06, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 2

This series has always been one of my favorites, so when I needed something to read during midsemester stress, I wanted to revisit them.

I'm a sucker for good characters, and Ann Brashares character development really shines in this series. I love these girls, I really do. I think that the reason this series is so popular is that with four different girls, each with their own distinct personality and set of characteristics, the reader can relate to at least one, if not more, of the girls. I know for me, I identify mostly with Carmen and Lena. Going beyond that, each of the girls is going through completely different situations, and I know that readers can relate to at least one of those, as well.

Ann Brashares provides life lessons without being preachy, and yet she also makes it certain that not everyone knows what to do all of the time and that's okay. This is YA at its best. Personally, when I read these growing up, I felt like I had myself a group of girlfriends, and a particularly loyal and loveable group at that.

Another thing that I love about this series is that in a YA world of urban fantasy/vampires/Twilight-esque stories (not that there's anything wrong with them!), this is so refreshing.

This book in particular is a great beginning to a series. It pulled me in, got me emotionally invested in the characters, and left me dying to find out what happens next.

Overall, a great series that I always love revisiting, and I can't wait to move onto the next one!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

Quotes Jess Liked

Ann Brashares
“Maybe the truth is, there's a little bit of loser in all of us. Being happy isn't having everything in your life be perfect. Maybe it's about stringing together all the little things.”
Ann Brashares, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

10/25/2010 page 39
13.0% "A re-read for me, but so comforting. I love this series."
11/01/2010 page 69
23.0% "I haven't gotten very far in this because I haven't had much time to sit and read. I wish I did though, I love this series."
11/05/2010 page 150
51.0% "I get so emotionally invested in these girls every time I read this. I love that I can relate to each one of them in different ways."

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Mandee I love your reviews, Jess :)

I almost always relate to what you write about something. And you always seem to say it better than I can. :)

I didn't read this book 'til earlier this year and I really liked it, but I saw the movie first and I sometimes wonder if that takes some of the, I don't know, specialness away? I'm guessing if I would have read this book while I was still in high school I would have loved it, but even so, my adult self :P really did like it.

I've already seen the second movie (which I love) and it seems like they rolled a whole bunch of the books (or skipped some?) into that story. What do you think - read the next books?

Jess Michaelangelo Aw, just noticed your comment, Mandee--thank you so much! You're making me blush!

As far as the movies go, I think they combined the first two books in the first movie and the last two books in the second film. I could be wrong about that, though.

I recommend reading on! The second book has been my favorite, and even though the third one was just okay to me, I'm really enjoying the fourth one, too!