Kiri's Reviews > The City & the City

The City & the City by China Miéville

Jul 31, 2009

Read in July, 2009

Wow.

A wild, noir murder mystery/weird magical reality/character study... except the character in question is simultaneously a person and a city that may actually be two cities existing simultaneously in a single location... and whether this question of simultaneous existence is some kind of parallel worlds scenario or simply (simply!) a question of perspective - mind over matter - is not really answered.

I have even more respect for China Mieville than after reading "Perdido Street Station", which was a tour de force but faltered under it's own weight... Mieville does beautifully with the simplicity of the detective genre.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City & the City.

06/22 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 5: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I haven't read this but I did read a short story of his where there were certain streets that moved around and maybe went into another world -- I think they were called Feral Streets. Does that sound similar?

Kiri Similar but different; you really have to read this one to appreciate it - in this one the operative force is not magic or fantasy or supernatural stuff... or is it? It's told in such a way that the two cities may very well be sharing the same physical street.

message 3: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Are you familiar with Will Grayson, Will Grayson? I think I read the blurb for it right after this one, and somehow got the idea the two Will Graysons were, like, the same person from parallel dimensions. I was very confused for a while reading it.

Kiri I have not read that, but now I want to! Thanks!

message 1: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I can't say if it is good really -- I was expecting a different book so I was disappointed.