Gaurav's Reviews > The Gone-Away World

Apr 26, 12

bookshelves: action, adventure, science-fiction
Recommended to Gaurav by: Leonard
Read in April, 2012

The author is *way* too verbose; some editing would have made this into much more readably book. I also felt that it sometimes played characters a bit too two-dimensionally: among fantastically well-realized characters such as the team, Zaher Bey and many of the incidental characters we see, particularly during the Not-a-war lurk characters like Elisabeth Soames (a bit too single-minded), Pestle (too ... well, weird), Gonzo (a bit simplistic, but there's a very good reason for that) and Leah (who I thought was unforgivably one-dimensional, although there might be a reason for that, too).

On the other hand, the ideas played with are fantastic, though, and the imagery is excellent, including -- perhaps especially -- where the book deliberately tries to create a never-ever place, such as Addeh Katir. I felt like I didn't know where the book was going a lot of the time, which was great. And the revelations towards the end of the book are perfectly poised in that area where I didn't see them coming at all -- but once they were revealed, I had to concede that the author had laid all the clues I needed, and I should have been able to put it together, which I also loved. On the whole, a fun, smart book well worth a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gone-Away World.