Mommalovesbaby's Reviews > Promises in Death

U 50x66
Jul 28, 2009

it was ok
Read in July, 2009

I have read many of the L. Eve Dallas in death series. This one was by far the worst. What irritated me the most was the unnecessary foul language the character Eve uses. Very unbecoming of a lady and would make a sailor blush. For example, she refers to lingerie several times as f***wear.
However, L. Eve Dallas is anything but a lady. J.D. Robb seems to think that to make a tough cop, you must remove all femininity from the character. It is just ridiculous that the only affection she seems to shower on her husband is sexual (at least in this book), otherwise he is just a tool to help solve the case. She hates shopping and forgets to even buy a gift for a close friend that she is hosting the bridal shower for! Then, her husband has to drag her kicking and screaming to a lingerie store to shop for her friend. Come on!
Her character in this book is more like an egotistical, career obsessed, inconsiderate friend and wife.
J.D. Robb is so over the top trying to make L. Eve Dallas a macho ball busting cop that she goes too far and you are left with a very one dimensional unlikable character.
Oh, and I hate that everyone keeps calling her "Sir"! What happened to ma'am? I live in Texas, and I guarantee you that if anyone calls a woman sir, it is an insult! Women in the military are even refered to as ma'am.
Don't even getting me started on the futuristic setting!
Perhaps the worst aspect of this book is that it isn't much of a mystery. There just isn't enough development of suspects or very much suspense at all.

I was bored and hard a very hard time concentrating on the book. I kept having to re-read parts because my mind kept drifting.

Please...skip it.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promises in Death.

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy If you don't like foul language, and the tough-as- nails persona of Eve Dallas, why do you keep reading the series? The dialog rings true; this is how cops talk, this is even how many female cops talk. Note that not all the female characters swear like Eve does; Peabody doesn't, Charlotte Mira certainly doesn't. There are many different ways to be female, to be human, and the characters span the range. If you have read more than a few books in the series, you'll know and understanf why Eve is not a girly-girl.

message 2: by Su (new) - rated it 5 stars

Su Irwin Have to agree. Life is too short to read a book that just raises your blood pressure.