Sara Grochowski's Reviews > The Sweetheart of Prosper County

The Sweetheart of Prosper County by Jill S. Alexander

Sep 17, 09

bookshelves: arc, own

This novel is absolutely adorable! That makes it sound a bit like a middle grade book so something, but it really isn't. Austin is young, only fourteen actually, but she really seems older. Everytime that attention was drawn to her age and I remembered she was only 14 I was a bit startled actually. While she isn't the most mature character, she definitely didn't seem that young.

I was never in FFA, but I'm from a small town where FFA is a bit of tradition, and in ways a lifestyle, for many families and kids. Reading about Austin's adventures in chicken-raising made me wonder if a missed out a little!

I was pleasantly surprised by the references to noodling and Matthew McConaughey! I know what you're thinking, "that is such a random comment to have in a review!" But it is true. One of the best parts about The Sweetheart of Prosper County was that it was so well rounded. There were all sorts of references: FFA, southern, current/pop culture references all blended together to make Austin's world believeable.

Austin was definitely the star of this novel, but the minor characters helped it shine! Charles Dickens the Rooster, Maribel, Lewis, Josh, and Sundi all were amazing characters, no matter how big or small their part in the novel.

I thought Austin's friendships and budding romance were believable and well written. There was even a subtle sexual reference that I thought was tastefully done and reflected Austin's age and personality well...

Ratings (Out of 10):
Plot: 10
Characters: 10
Writing style: 10
Romance: 10
Originality: 10
Total: 50/50 (A!)

I loved Austin and her quest to become a Sweetheart - even though I think she was a Sweetheart all along! Jill S. Alexander is an author to watch - I can't wait for her next novel!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetheart of Prosper County.