Hana Tandjung's Reviews > The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Sep 22, 07

Recommended for: Everyone
Read in January, 2006

Yup, it's still about Asperger Syndrome. The title of the novel is quite unique; “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time”. The author, Mark Haddon, has succesfully created a story about a boy named Christopher in this case, an asperger-boy.

The story goes like this: Christopher discovers the dead body of Wellington, his neighbour's pet (which is a poodle), speared by a garden fork. Having been blamed for it, he decides to investigate to clear his name. However, he is severely limited by his own fears and difficulties when interpreting the world around him. Throughout his adventures, Christopher records his experiences in the form of a book, entitled The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. (Adapted from: Wikipedia)
During the time of his investigation, he has to face the world with his “aspergerness”, got confused about direction when he has to leave his house, having trouble with comunicating through other people, and knowing about the fact that his mother is still alive, after years being told that she was dead, that makes him shocked untill he is unable to move, curls up on the bed, vomits, and groans for several hours.

What makes this novel very unique is that the novel presented in a way an Asperger-Boy narrated. Full of the switching of fonts and use of long, run-on sentences when describing the surroundings. Another uniqueness u can found in this book is that the book's chapters numbered unusually by prime numbers started from “1”, “2”, “3”, “5”, “7”, “11”, “13”, and so on. It shows us that as an Aspergerian, Christopher is gifted and focused on mathematics.

Well, what do you think? Is it interesting? I'm not here to promote or campaigning about this book, but if you ask me, I can say that this is a brilliant fiction-book in a unique way. So many interesting facts you can enrich for your acknowledgment if I may say. ^^,
15 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Darragh Nolan its nice to know some people know of Asperger Syndrome. in ireland there is virtually no help for people or parents dealing with this syndrome. my cousin has it.

Luca Masters 'he decides to investigate to clear his name.'

What? He does it because he cares about dogs.

'Another uniqueness u can found in this book is that the book's chapters numbered unusually by prime numbers started from “1”, “2”, “3”, “5”, “7”, “11”, “13”, and so on.'

Of course, 1 is not prime. :-)

message 3: by Kaylah (new)

Kaylah I 100% agree with your review. This novel was VERY interesting ,a nd the title of the book was also unique. I also agree with what you say in your review about Christopher having Asperger syndrome, but still being very intelligent at the same time. I really like how the author did this too, because it showed that everyone can be unique or smart in their own way no matter what their conditions are. I can also say myself that Christopher even taught me some new things in his journal also. This novel was very different from other fiction novels and had many good advantages (which you listed in your review) and some disadvantages. I also like how you gave a brief synopsis on the book and everything you liked about it

message 4: by Miller (new)

Miller Payton Kaylah, what types of things did Christopher teach in his journal?