Bucket's Reviews > Gun, with Occasional Music

Gun, with Occasional Music by Jonathan Lethem

Aug 23, 09

bookshelves: post-modern-book-club-reads, reviewed, dystopia, humor, technology, time, music
Read in August, 2009

A very quick read and easy to follow. No stopping to think necessary! I liked that the invented world didn't take over the story. The inventions (karma cards, memory boxes, drugs like forgettol and addictol, etc.) were simple enough that Lethem didn't spend paragraphs describing them. Basically, the plot and Conrad's character development were the focus here; refreshingly different than some sci-fi or dystopian literature. I'm not big on the murder mystery thing, but there were definitely some interesting moments here. When Conrad sleeps with Catherine and realizes that it doesn't matter that he doesn't feel 'male sensations,' it's about being with her. I also liked when Conrad said that his job wasn't about finding the guilty party in a group of innocents, but finding the few innocents in a group of people guilty to various degrees.

Themes: Perils of technology and control, drugs, sci-fi, noir, control, music vs. words, murder mystery

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gun, with Occasional Music.

08/22/2009 page 2