Kcmomof2's Reviews > I Don't Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Reddy, Working Mother

I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson

F_50x66
Jul 28, 09

Read in July, 2009

Great book about balancing a high powered career while raising two small children. This one hit close to home for me. Many similarities between the main character Kate and my every day life (work travel, male dominated industry, mother who stayed home) so I totally identified with her. I thought it was pretty honest picture of the hectic and crazed life of a business women trying to have it all. Where the book lost me was Kate's willingness to put up with boarish sexual harrassment from coworkers and her coaching to a young female co-worker to do so also. In the end she does play a trick on a male co-worker in order to get him fired but her tactics are in some ways as bad as his. Perhaps because this is a story told in London times are not as progressive there but in the US the law and most HR departments are better allies of women at work so I thought that was a way she compromised the story in a contrived and phony way just to create some "drama" for our heroine to overcome. The rest of smart and true to life. Loved the dynamic with the Nanny whom she wanted her kids to love but not too much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Don't Know How She Does It.