Carol's Reviews > Sunrise Over Fallujah

Sunrise Over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers

F 50x66
Jul 28, 09

Read in July, 2009

As a long-time fan of Fallen Angels, I was excited about reading this book. The main character, Robin (aka Birdy by his comrades), takes time throughout the story to write to his uncle, who I believe was a character in Fallen Angels, a veteran of the Vietnam conflict. I was hoping that this novel would fill me in on some info I was missing about the Iraq War, and it did. There is a glossary and map that I will probably return to as a reference in the future. I have always been careful about recommending Fallen Angels to my sixth grade students because of the profanity and heavy drug use portrayed. This book does not have that, but the realities of combat, with bodies being blown to pieces literally, will cause me to be careful about recommending this also. Nevertheless, it is because of the realistic portrayal that I wanted to read this and that I appreciated. The book will help a reader understand the experience of an American soldier in Iraq, from inside his head on out. Another noticeable difference between this and Fallen Angels is the portrayal of women among our fighting forces. Although the main character is male, female characters are prominent enough that their experience is told also. I am glad that I chose this one for my summer reading. I feel enriched.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunrise Over Fallujah.