Peyton's Reviews > A Reader's Companion To J.D. Salinger's The Catcher In The Rye

A Reader's Companion To J.D. Salinger's The Catcher In The Rye by Peter G. Beidler

Jul 28, 2009

bookshelves: literary-criticism
Read in July, 2009

I wish I'd had this book when I was reading Catcher back in high school. I had no idea how big an influence it had been, not only on subsequent writers but on film as well. The Reader's Companion is not a long book, and the open layout (designed for quick reference) makes it go quickly. I was also interested to see how thoroughly Dr. Beidler has explained many common colloquialisms and slang usages that I would have taken for granted. With the passing of sixty years since Catcher was originally published, several generations have passed, so today's readers need this level of explanation. The photos of places that Holden visits, as well as explanations of their significance, would be a help to anyone not familiar with New York City. He also comments on how English Language Learners need help with the idiomatic language. Again, I would not have thought of that. If you enjoyed Catcher in the Rye, then this is well worth reading.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Reader's Companion To J.D. Salinger's The Catcher In The Rye.