Tasha enderby's Reviews > The Zookeeper's Wife

2052897
Jul 23, 11

bookshelves: book-club-books, world-war-ii
Read in July, 2009

I am a huge world war II fan so this book was just my ally. Since I've been living in Germany I have gotten the rare chance of seeing some of the most horrifying places up close and it takes that topic out of story and into real life. This Spring I spent a lot of time in Poland and learning of it's history and sites. This is a wonderful story that gives you first hand account of a Polish zookeeper and his wife who smuggle Jews into their bombed out zoo as part of the underground. They believed not in hiding people but putting those who stayed with them in plain site on the zoo and so it makes the hidding place a little diffrent then most Jews were forced to stay in during the war. I was sad to see how it ended but it was a worth the read.

I tried to reread this book...for the second time and looking at my first review was gracious. I didn't care for the book it was lacking in relationships . I love the topic, I think so much more could have been added to the book had it not been so full of animal histories.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zookeeper's Wife.

07/02/2011 page 55
15.0% "I am reading this book a second time for one of my book clubs. I don't usually pick up a book twice but when I read the title as a pick I couldn't recall any of the details of the book so I decided to reread it."
07/05/2011 page 125
34.0% "I am not digging this book too much the second time around. I am almost glad it's a book club discussion because it would be great to see what others read into the book."
show 1 hidden update…