Casey's Reviews > Shopaholic Takes Manhattan

Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie Kinsella

Jul 28, 09

Read in June, 2009, read count: 1

Of the three Shopaholic books I've read, this was my favorite. Just as before, Becky still annoys me with her relentless shopaholic tendencies (can she literally not master any self-control?), I think she gains a bit more depth. I was thrilled to see her acting a bit more like a human being in this book. I finally felt a bit of respect for her as a character, and was a bit more able to sympathize with her.

First of all, I like that she stands up for what she believes in. Secondly, I liked that she was willing to take risks to do the right thing (especially when this time, doing the right thing didn't involve the ulterior motive of getting herself out of a jam she had witlessly stepped into...although that was certainly present) in trying to selflessly salvage her boyfriend's company. Thirdly, I was happy to see her pull herself together at the end. I do appreciate that she is able to pull herself up by the bootstraps even when she hits rock bottom, but my biggest problem with her is that she never learns from her mistakes.

I was diappointed in the turn Luke took...although he wasn't awful to read here, he wasn't the bracing breath of fresh air he was in the first Shopaholic.

In any case, I did enjoy this book the most of all the Shopaholic books I've read thus far, and I still love the writer's style. These books are never too heavy and usually very entertaining. I get too easily frustrated with the main character, with whom I just can't connect, but I still appreciate this book and the author's talent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shopaholic Takes Manhattan.