karen's Reviews > The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Mar 24, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: books-everyone-loves-but-me, and-so-this-is-grad-school

teens seem to love this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Comments (showing 1-36)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 36: by Patricia (new)

Patricia My son just had to read this for language arts. He said the kid was a whiner and there was too much drama for him, but I guess it was a hit with most of the other teens. Made me curious, so I may have to read this one myself soon, just to see what schools are assigning as literature these days.

karen it is ugh.

message 34: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Ha! That's pretty much what he said.

message 33: by Cory (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cory I liked it, but I can see why someone wouldn't. It's not a book to read over and over again.

message 32: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely Nice to know. One book off my list, Karen!

karen shrug - maybe you will like it. i, however, did not, and i don't see the appeal....

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't like this book either, but I thought it was because I missed the whole thing with Charlie's aunt.

Danielle i love this book!

Robert Alwin This was the first book I gave up on in my life.

karen this book made me want to give up my life.

MizzSandie you are not alone. not loving this book either.

karen it's so weird that a book like this is so popular with YA audiences when the references are so centered thirty years before their awareness.

message 24: by MizzSandie (last edited Jan 30, 2012 05:26AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

MizzSandie I know! I'm finding it hard to see the appeal, because in my opinion it does not reflect anything of what I (or my friends) was going through when I was that age. Apart from the fact that as a teenager you can feel off and like nobody understands, and then it might fuel teenagers fantasies of ending up as a popular kid, regardless.

Nicole I love this book. I'm not sure why, exactly, because Charlie is a total whiner and doormat. But I remember when someone handed me this book for the first time, probably about 13 years ago, and I felt like it changed my life. I still have a copy. I guess I'm part of the YA craze. Damn kids.

karen get off my lawn!

message 21: by Joe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joe I loved it until the ending "revelation" with the aunt. So contrived.

karen god, i don't even remember the ending. i just remember zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

message 19: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Ooh, did you see Shirley Marr's review of this? Scroll down and check out her awesome emo poem.

karen yeah, i love her

Jason *delete from kindle*

message 16: by Miriam (new)

Miriam karen wrote: "yeah, i love her"

Aww, looks like she is leaving goodreads, though :(

Re the Reader Why didn't you like this book?

message 14: by Owen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Owen Patricia wrote: "My son just had to read this for language arts. He said the kid was a whiner and there was too much drama for him, but I guess it was a hit with most of the other teens. Made me curious, so I may h..."

Don't worry, we're still being assigned Shakespeare.

message 13: by Karen (new) - rated it 1 star

Karen Just finished this book. I'm depressed and tired. Good time to scoop me some ice-cream. and start a GOOD book. ugh!

karen aww, i hear ya!

Wenchy I am 39 and I am loving it!

karen great news!

Aseel i already read like 50% and i am boooored

karen its continued popularity confounds me

message 7: by Muhammad (new)

Muhammad Galal I hated the movie so much !
it was so dull and all moves were predictable !

Jason I preferred the movie. The book was draining and I disliked the style and format. It just became redundant after awhile.

karen i didn't even bother with the movie.....

Mikayla I'm a teen and I don't love the book, I've read better.

karen i'm glad you found the better books!

Izzy This is a great coming of age story! I read this book in a mere day because I loved it so much. It tells of the sad truth of growing up, while telling a great story!

karen yeah, i didn't like it, myself