Laura's Reviews > A Dangerous Man

A Dangerous Man by Charlie Huston

Jul 27, 09

bookshelves: boys, grown-up-books
Read in March, 2008

The final installment in Charlie Huston’s modern noir Henry Thompson trilogy, A Dangerous Man is another page turning adventure with Huston’s anti-hero, Henry Thompson. Through each chapter of Huston’s trilogy, Henry has grown tougher and a little less hopeful and this is no exception. Henry is at the bitter end of his saga of murder, mafia, and running for his life.

In this chapter, Henry is working for David, a Russian mafia boss, committing murders, beatings, and other dirty work in exchange for his parents’ safety. It’s an interesting arrangement. Of course, Henry’s past (and his 4 million dollars) catches up to him, leading to a mad scramble of Henry, once again, running for his life. Toughened by his experiences throughout the trilogy, Henry is no longer the regular guy of Caught Stealing–he’s a strong, savvy character with a dangerous criminal mind.

Huston does something new this time and plays around with the narrative structure of the story, creating flash forwards and flashbacks that are a little disorienting, though not too problematic. One thing that struck me about A Dangerous Man is that, while it is sadder than the other books, it is less bitter and less violent than Six Bad Things in a refreshing way. While Caught Stealing remains to be the standout among the series, A Dangerous Man is a satisfying conclusion that is well worth the read. I recommend this one for mystery and action readers who enjoyed the previous book(s). In my case, I was enthusiastic about Caught Stealing, but lukewarm for Six Bad Things…I still found A Dangerous Man to be a satisfying and quick read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dangerous Man.