Annette's Reviews > Island in the Sea of Time

Sep 20, 2007

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: Fantasy or History lovers
Read in January, 2001

I loved this book, and the two that followed in the trilogy.

Quick synopsis - the island of Nantucket (and a wooden Coast Guard ship) are mysteriously whisked back in time several thousand years.

The only reason I didn't give this one five stars is that Stirling gets a bit carried away with some of the more ... unsavory sexual behavior of some of his characters. This seems to be a consistent trend of his in most of his books. He can't seem to write plain old vanilla sex - his sex scenes are either of lesbian and/or EXTREMELY brutal acts of sadism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island in the Sea of Time.

message 1: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob Morrison These books were wonderful. "unsavory sexual behavior" is a part of life, particularly at war and at sea. It seems ironic that violent war scenes and death are acceptable, human sexual behavior is "unsavory!

Annette Sorry if I made it unclear but I wasn't labeling sexual behavior as unsavory - far from it. I greatly enjoy sexual behavior and descriptions of it. But Stirling gets a bit carried away with mingling violence and sex - which isn't exactly my kink. Your mileage may vary. :)

Kirk A correction; my brother sailed on the Eagle as a cadet, and she is made of Krupp steel, both hull and masts. I think the book even named the Blohm und Voss Shipyard.