Vicki's Reviews > The Darcys & the Bingleys: A Tale of Two Gentlemen's Marriages to Two Most Devoted Sisters

The Darcys & the Bingleys by Marsha Altman

Jul 01, 10

bookshelves: austen-spinoffs
Read in July, 2009

To be completely honest, I'm surprised so many of the reviews on here were as positive as they were. I found this book to be beyond idiotic, and when you really boiled it down, it was actually really dull. First of all, the plot lines were beyond ridiculous. Second of all, Elizabeth isn't so much dazzlingly witty and clever in this book as she is rude and kind of stupidly obvious in her comments. Not every word out of Elizabeth Bennet's mouth was a joke or a jibe at somebody else's expense.

The truth of the matter is that this book just struck me as lazy, and kind of stupid. If you want something better, try Helen Halstead's Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darcys & the Bingleys.

message 1: by Cass (new) - rated it 1 star

Cass I am also surprises at the positive reviews. There are some pretty good Austen Fan fiction around, this book does not come close.

message 2: by Marissia (new) - added it

Marissia Strohl I'm only on page 13, I found the book at the local library. With the few pages I have read it has left a horrible taste in my mouth. I haven't come to read about Elizabeth at all yet. But I'm certain the little bit that I've read is no where close to what Jane Austin's original characters would have been like. I doubt I'll even finish this book.