Greg's Reviews > Indian legends of Saratoga and of the upper Hudson Valley

Indian legends of Saratoga and of the upper Hudson Valley by Nathaniel Bartlett Sylvester

Jul 27, 2009

bookshelves: history, myths-legends, saratoga
Read in July, 2009

I found this little book on Google books while procrastinating last night. It's a pretty interesting collection of a few legends about Saratoga Springs. I doubt anyone not from Saratoga would care much for this, and probably even if you were from Saratoga you wouldn't care too much about this. I had no idea that Saratoga was something of a paradise hunting ground before the pale faces came and wrecked everything, I do know that if civilization falls, that animals will once again probably return by the allure of all the natural springs and make for easy hunting. I'll just have to clear the place out of the douche bags and rednecks first to make it hospitable for some kind of post-apocalyptic survival strategy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indian legends of Saratoga and of the upper Hudson Valley.

message 1: by Félix (new)

Félix I think pretty much the whole continent was a hunting paradise before our kind screwed it up. But this does seem interesting. I have childhood and later adulthood memories of that area.

The water, by the way, tastes horrible. I remember, as a kid, seeing a man with a blue birthmark (or whatever you call it) on most of his face, drinking from one of the open springs. An adult friend of my parents said it was because he drank too much of the water. Of course, I believed it.

And, by the way, the whole continent is inhabited by douchebags and rednecks ... so where is one to go?

I'm just asking.

Greg I was just thinking of the ones around Saratoga. Some of the water doesn't taste bad, they all taste different. Living there for 15 years I think I only tasted the waters when I first moved there. Usually if the spring you are going near smells like something you wouldn't want to be near then the water will probably be kind of funny tasting. Some locals do swear by certain springs though. Also the best tasting springs aren't available to the public, they are owned by companies that sell Saratoga water.

Apparently the animals were drawn by the springs in a great numbers and then they just relaxed there, making it easy for the Mohawks and Mohicans to hunt them.

I wish I knew where to get away from all the douche bags and rednecks. If I figure it out I'll let you know.