Ty Carlisle's Reviews > Don't Be Such a Scientist: Talking Substance in an Age of Style

Don't Be Such a Scientist by Randy Olson

U 50x66
Jul 27, 09

Read in July, 2009

This book should be a paradigm shift for anyone who's interested in the fate of our little blue planet. Funnily written, with cute little anecdotal stories about the author's life dealing with scientists (including himself, the author points fun at his own mistakes as "such a scientist" including an hilarious story about making a fool of himself in front of Spike Lee). Yet the book doesn't simply poke fun, it also hammers home on some very interesting and timely messages about what everyone can do to communicate more efficiently and persuasively. But the most powerful messages hit home when the author is talking about the importance of communicating global warming science better, because that's where we can screw up our entire livelihood. For instance the author points out we can't do much about global warming when well over half of America feels that global warming either isn't happening or isn't an immediate concern. The author explains why the American audience isn't buying global warming, and what scientists need to do to grab the attention of the public. This book is a very timely and important thesis on the dumbing-down of America, and why science needs to learn a few lessons from Hollywood to reach a mass audience in today's media-saturated environment, yet it is packed in such a quick, fun read, that you can tell the author has taken his own advice.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Be Such a Scientist.