Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}'s Reviews > Cast in Silence

Cast in Silence by Michelle Sagara

Jul 12, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, read-in-2009, magic-users, dragons, bye-bye, dtb
Read in July, 2009

This is the 5th book in the Chronicle of Elantra and it pains me to give this one 3 stars but it has to be done. It covers the period of 6 months after Kaylin left Nightshade and before she entered the city and began working fot the Hawks.

I found this novel to be much slower in pace than the others and reached an ending which I saw coming (but was still good). The slow pace is the result of a lot of psychological and philosophical discussion which sometimes left me a bit confused.

I admit that it took me longer to reach the end than normal and did seriously consider giving up on it. It felt more like an 'in-between' book rather than a full novel which sets the scene for the next one.

It also breaks with the general themes of the others in the series, the first focuses on the back story of the main characters whereas the others focus on the ins and outs of each of the races, one at a time, within the world Sagara has created. I expected this one to either be about the Aerians, some new race or the Dragon Emperor. Unfortunately I was disappointed. Hopefully the next in the series, CAST IN CHAOS will be better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cast in Silence.

07/27/2009 page 225