Alethea A's Reviews > The Fetch

The Fetch by Laura Whitcomb

Jul 27, 2009

Read in July, 2009 , read count: 1

Well hey! Surprisingly, I enjoyed this. Fans of Russian history and Christianity will, too. (mainly why I was surprised *I* liked it)

Calder is a Fetch, a Death-escort, and not a very good one in his own opinion. He breaks his holy Vows to pursue a human woman and ends up running away from demons (mostly of his own making) while circumnavigating the globe. It is a story of love, forgiveness, sacrifice and mainly, doing the right thing--or what you think is the right thing at the time.

When I first read the premise, I thought, "Cheese." Whitcomb uses speculation about Rasputin and the youngest Romanov children (Alexis and Ana) as a framework for the story, but surprised my by carrying it off well. It intermixes with her Fetch story in such a way that one enhances the other in a decidedly non-cheesy way. Phew.

I'm leaning up to 5 stars on this, but somehow can't quite get there. I don't think it helped that I was on a very long plane ride when I read this.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fetch.

Jane I love how authors can un-cheese it up.

I think I'm going to read this. I liked her other book.

Alethea A I got an ARC (someone was reselling it! Bad!) at a 2ndhand bookshop in the Philippines. And Prophecy of the Sisters in paperback (it just came out in HC here and I got it 2 weeks ago in QP)--but that one's definitely a borrow, not a buy. Shame, too--the cover's so pretty, and the premise was intriguing. She just can't deliver.