Mrs. Badass's Reviews > Darkfever

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Sep 09, 2009

liked it
I own a copy , read count: 5

This is the first of a five book series. In this installment we learn about Mackayla (Mac) Lane. A pretty, young, socialite who tends bar and has very little responsibility. Her older sister is murdered while in College in Dublin, and when the case goes unsolved, Mac vows to find the truth and makes her way to Dublin. There she meets Barrons, owner of a bookstore and as enigmatic and secretive as he can be. Mac learns she is really a Sidhe Seer, and her dark journey begins.

The characters take time to develop and change. Mac starts young and unaware. She is clueless. Towards the end she is growing up a bit. In the next installment she grows more etc. etc. The series itself is a romance series, but each book is not considered a romance. There is darkness in the series, and there is light. The world is intriguing. The characters are memorable. The plot is twisty and winding. I like that I haven't figured out who is good, who is bad, and what will happen. I think Karen really delivers. It took me a bit to get used to the First person POV, but I think Karen does it well.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfever.

Quotes Mrs. Liked

Karen Marie Moning
“She understood now why her friend Elizabeth, with her near-genius, analytical mind gave wide berth to murder mysteries, psychological thrillers, and horror stories, and read only romance novels. Because, by God, when a woman picked up one of those steamy books, she had a firm guarantee that there would be a Happily-Ever-After. That though the world outside those covers could bring such sorrow and disappointment and loneliness, between those covers, the world was a splendid place to be.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Last night you said you wanted to know what to expect so you could better select your attire. I told you we were going to visit a vampire in a Goth-den tonight. Why, then, Ms. Lane, do you look like a perky rainbow?”

Karen Marie Moning
“I love books, by the way, way more than movies. Movies tell you what to think. A good book lets you choose a few thoughts for yourself. Movies show you the pink house. A good book tells you there's a pink house and lets you paint some of the finishing touches, maybe choose the roof style,park your own car out front. My imagination has always topped anything a movie could come up with. Case in point, those darned Harry Potter movies. That was so not what that part-Veela-chick, Fleur Delacour, looked like.”