Chris's Reviews > Turning Angel

M 50x66
Sep 20, 07

Recommended for: Morons
Read in May, 2006

This is easily the worst book I've ever read, and I've read Jewel's book of poetry. The story seems to exist only as a vehicle for Iles to create this ludicrous world in which sexy, teenage girls are unable to keep from flinging themselves at every middle-aged man that comes along. This might make for some great poker night b.s. stories for Iles and his buddies, but as a novel, it comes off as a pervert's collection of fantasties. Just creepy. Imagine if John Mark Karr rewrote Lolita, and you've got a pretty good idea.
27 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turning Angel.

message 1: by Josh (new) - rated it 1 star

Josh Feinzimer I agree with your review wholeheartedly...

Carol Interesting take.

aPriL does feral sometimes I completely agree with you. However the author's writing talent raises the natural one star to a three for me, but whenever I stopped to think, the obvious wish fulfillment of the plot for middle aged men was glaringly obvious.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane Deaux i've never even heard of this book, but i laughed my ass off at the first line of your review, and then i cringed at the rest of it. will be sure to avoid this one, on the off chance i ever get it in my head that i really want to read a novel about the fetishization of young girls.

message 5: by Sharon (last edited Apr 10, 2013 06:37PM) (new)

Sharon I tried one of Greg Iles books before and couldn't get into it. I thought his style may have changed but it seems he's still writing the same. I will avoid this book.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Todd Have you tried "Third Degree" by Iles?

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon No, I've not read the "Third Degree" by Iles. I don't like his subjects or his writing. Do you recommend it?

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna Todd "Third Degree" by Iles is the only one of his I've read and I found it very suspenseful. My thoughts are you might give it a try?

message 9: by Steph (last edited Apr 13, 2013 06:54PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Steph I can't believe this is the same guy who wrote Black Cross...I'm thinking he had someone else write it. Your review made me LOL :)

Claudette Don't forget the China Town and French Connection derivations. I almost think he wrote this tongue in cheek. I agree with your assessment of these teenage girls throwing themselves at the middle aged men. Ugly ugly.

message 11: by Rach (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rach Josh.....all I can say is you think this (& his others) are that bad you just have read some really REALLY crap books