Katharine's Reviews > Under the Rose

Under the Rose by Diana Peterfreund

Jul 27, 09

bookshelves: drama, romance
Read in July, 2009

The same general remarks apply to Under the Rose as in my review of the first book, Secret Society Girl: surprisingly well-written fun with some lovely themes of loyalty and friendship lurking under the fluffy chicklit surface.

I particularly enjoyed the deeper-than-your-average-trade-paperback characterizations in this installment. The plot was a little too similar to the first book, perhaps, but was saved by some vivid insights into several secondary characters. I don't know the author's background, but as a Christian I appreciated her avoidance of stereotypes in the portrayal of Amy's Christian society sister. (A few other characters were pretty stereotyped, but they were minor.)

There was one sex scene in this book that I thought could have been described in a little less enthusiastic detail, although it still wasn't as explicit as it could have been. FYI for those who care about that kind of thing. I think hinting is sexier and more effective, myself.

Anyway, I've started book three and requested book four from interlibrary loan – this series continues to be un-put-down-able. Yes, that's totally a word.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Rose.