Psychophant's Reviews > Five Hundred Years After

Five Hundred Years After by Steven Brust

Sep 07, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, reviewed, series
Read in January, 1999

Brust continues the Three Musketeers pastiche in this book, a sequel that absolutely requires that you read the preceding book in the series.

A bit like the book it was modeled after, Twenty years after, it is moodier and darker than its predecessor. However in my opinion Brust does not give enough "play time" to the characters we (readers) like, while spending too much time on the less likeable ones. That makes parts of the book a bit heavy going, and its size and its overblown language does not help. There are still moments of witty repartee and adventure, intrigue and emotion, but padded with the daily routine of secondary characters and guidebook descriptions. Maybe the main character's life has become dull, but there is no need to wallow so much in the dull parts.

The book also presents some characters from the Taltos series in a different light, and what is presented here influences how they are presented in later Taltos books. Somehow I find this vision of poweful characters more believable.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Hundred Years After.