Renee's Reviews > Bitter Sweets

Bitter Sweets by Roopa Farooki

Aug 23, 09

Read in August, 2009

Okay. Here's the thing. I'm going to put it up front: I don't like lies. And the book tells you up front that it's a book about lies built on lies. So, shame on me for reading it.

Was this book decently written? Yes. Was this book an interesting cultural story? Yes. Did this book make me want to move to England? Yes. Which is why it got 3 stars. But, did I like it? No.

This is the sort of story that make me want to enter the story to smack people! I just hate it when relationships go horribly awry simply because characters don't have the chutzpah to tell the truth! This is one of those things in life we can control. We can't control natural disaster; we can't control car accidents killing people; we can't control the atrocities of war. But jiminy crickets, we can control the honor of how we live our life and the truths we tell. So, when characters get all selfish and self-serving as they tell themselves they're doing it to "help" somebody else, I just want to huck the book across the room.

If plot lines that allow for people who justifying lying to avoid emotional confrontation is a tolerable plot device for you, then, this book should be an okay read. And I don't mean that sarcastically. if this is not one of your story hang-ups, and we all have a story hang-up, then the book should be fine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitter Sweets.