Holyn's Reviews > The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer

The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp

Jul 26, 09

Read in July, 2008

I read this book during the last few weeks of my pregnancy and the first few weeks of Adeline's life. I recommend this as a must read to any future parent. I think it was really helpful in knowing how to keep Adeline calm - and might be one reason she was not terribly fussy during her first few months of life.

Dr. Karp takes what he believes are the 'myths' surrounding a colicky baby, explains their origins, and then debunks each myth. I thought it was marvelous. He then explains his basic theory - that each baby has a fourth trimester outside the womb where they are adjusting to this new world and all the changes it brings. He gives parents concrete suggestions for replicating the womb-like environment and therefore reducing the amount of stress (and the connected crying) on your baby.
I tried all his suggestions and they worked - the swaddling, sushing, white noise, swaying, etc all contributed to keeping (or getting Adeline back to) calm. I kept this book out on my shelf during Adeline's early months and it will be re-read once another little one is on the way...

Now I am on to his book about toddlers....and so the ride continues.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiest Baby on the Block.