April's Reviews > Shelf Discovery: The Teen Classics We Never Stopped Reading

Shelf Discovery by Lizzie Skurnick

Jul 26, 2009

bookshelves: 2009

Remember the books you read in middle school? The Cat Ate My Gymsuit, Blubber, A Wrinkle in Time?

Well, it turns out that pretty much every woman you know has read them too, and loved them just as much as you did. Here, Lizzie Skurnick discusses some of the best-known selections from your 7th grade bookshelf.

I definitely remember reading most of these books. Re-reading them. And then reading them again. I'm sure I'll read them in the future. Books like Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret. Or Harriet the Spy. Fifteen.

And Skurnick doesn't just go with the wholesome stuff, either; there's a whole chapter about the books you had to sneak-read at school: Flowers in the Attic, Forever, Clan of the Cave Bear. You know ... the Sex Books.

Even better, she writes about books I'd read but forgotten I'd read, or whose titles I could't remember. The Girl with the Silver Eyes. Don't Hurt Laurie. Jane-Emily.

Pretty much, if you have nostalgic feelings about your school library, you've probably read most of the books discussed here. And if you haven't, well ... you've got a lot of catching up to do.

I've already started my Amazon searches myself.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shelf Discovery.