Vicki's Reviews > The Next 100 Years: A Forecast for the 21st Century

Jul 26, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: audible
Read in June, 2009

This was an interesting book in which the author attempts to predict what will happen in the world over the next 100 years. I wish I could give it 3.5 stars instead of 3.0 or 4.0, as I really was somewhere in between those ratings on this one.

Some of the predictions left me bummed out, particularly the one that space will inevitably be militarized. The author argues that the control of space will be just as crucial to being on top of the hierarchy as controlling the seas is now. It does make some degree of practical sense, but I just really hate the thought of space becoming militarized. I just have these visions of the Grand Moff Tarkin from Star Wars, but with US insignia on his uniform. Blech.

He posits Turkey and Japan as coming rivals for power with the US, and he has some dire predictions about the intersection of the relatively small Gen X and the unfriendly immigration policies spurred on my 911 (the section on this issue would be interesting tandem reading for another of my goodreads books called The Age Curve by Kenneth Gronbach, which I really enjoyed.

in the long view, the author urges readers to see most conflicts and seemingly important contemporary developments as minor points in the history of US foreign policy, which he argues is primarily used to keep potential rivals and antagonists off-balance and playing catch-up. I don't know if I necessarily agree with that, but it's interesting to step back from current events to try and see the overall pattern over time.

I'd recommend this one for those who enjoy contemplating how the future may unfold are interested in stepping back for a more long-term perspective on contemporary issues and events.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next 100 Years.