Tara's Reviews > The Beekeeper's Apprentice

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

Jul 25, 2009

bookshelves: fiction, mystery, women-oriented
Read in January, 2007

This is the first in the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series. I love most of the books written by Laurie King - who is or was a local author. The books are writeen for the most part from the perspective of Mary Russell, who is a highly intelligent adolescent that meets Sherlock Holmes by accident on the Sussex downs. Sherlock Holmes has been retired for a number of years and is slowly wasting away from boredom. They team up on a variety of adventures. This series is extremely well written and not a disappointment to Sherlock Holmes fans. In general I like the narration by Jenny Sterlin? - At first I didn't like the voice she chose for Sherlock Holmes, but I have gotten used to it over the years. I am currently listening to the latest- #9 in the series. Laurie King's writing style is at times poetic, fast-paced and her imagery is quite beautiful. I partiularly like this book and the third book - O Jerusalem, their adventures in Palestine.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

Julie Hi, Tara.

Love this review! I haven't read any of the Laurie King books, but your great description has convinced me to give her a try. I think I'll listen to Monstrous Regiment of Women - I just love the image that the title evokes! If you ever feel the urge, I encourage you to post on the All Ears Group - you write beautifully!

Julie

Tara Julie at All Ears wrote: "Hi, Tara.

Hi Julie,
Thanks for your encouragement, as always, you are such a positive, encouraging person. I hope you like that book, it isn't my favorite, but it's good. I'll listen to it again after you.

Tara