Padraigh Mchale's Reviews > Everything Matters!

Everything Matters! by Ron Currie Jr.

Jul 25, 09

bookshelves: favorites, general-fiction
Read in July, 2009

I really, really liked this book. Really. I expected to enjoy it somewhat, though, and how couldn't I? It's about the choices and life of a man who knows, down to the second, the exact time and method of the destruction of all life on our planet. Well, ninety six percent of it, anyway, which seems about the same, being one of the species that would be extinct in that scenario.

That being said, this book is way better than it has any business being. There are a lot of point of view transitions in this book, from the main character, to his family members, to his girlfriend, to the voice that lives in his head and plays the role of a passive, helpfully informative narrator to his life, and they all are easy to understand, and the changes don't slow the story down or feel jarring, as they easily could. Every character you meet feels real and fully fleshed out with a sense that they're based on someone the writer knows, or at least has met. He has a sense of familiarity about them. The plot runs well, and while Ron Currie's writing style took a moment to get used to, I found myself enjoying the way he wrote, which made seeing what was coming much more difficult then a lot of books I've read.

There aren't many people that I wouldn't recommend this book to. The blind, perhaps, until it comes out on audio book. It's an interesting, humorous, sad take on an age old question:

Does what I do really matter?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything Matters!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary McHale After meeting Ron at a book conference, I knew this book would appeal to readers who enjoy books that make them think. It is also great for those who enjoy reading a book written in a unique style. More people should pick this book up. It is definitely the type of book you would find at a good independent bookstore.