Empress5150's Reviews > The First Four Years

The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Jul 29, 09

Frankly, this books is fairly depressing because not a lot of good came out of the first four years Laura and Almanzo (referred to as "Manly" now) were married (save their daughter, Rose). Just about every bit of bad luck one living out on a prairie could experience, they did, including ruined crops, their house burning down, their baby son dying and Almanzo getting diphtheria. It was likely due to these awful times that the Wilder's ultimately moved to Mansfield, MO. Also, this book was not written by Laura per se. After she died, her diary of these four years was discovered. From that diary, this book was compiled. The writing is definitely not as rich or descriptive as Laura's (or Rose's, if you are to believe that it was actually Rose who wrote the Little House Books). I saw a review on this book that said, "For Laura diehards only!" I think I have to agree with that summation. Yet, I couldn't bring myself to give it a two star rating.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Four Years.