Chris Gamble's Reviews > The Love Dare

The Love Dare by Stephen Kendrick

Jul 28, 09

Read in July, 2009

I just finished this book today, and thought I'd talk a little about it.

The book The Love Dare was shown on the movie Fireproof. The movie is about a fireman who is struggiling through a failing marriage headed for divorce, when his father hands him a book. The Love Dare. The husband reads the book and takes the journey, finding love, happiness, and unity with his wife. It is a very inspiring and But the book is even more so.

I found this book while at the library. You see, I haven't been reading much of late this summer. Like 10 pages a day...but then I'd get bored. Been reading mostly biographies, which tend to be my favourite genre. But I went to the library to return a few books that I've been constantly renewing with the hope that I'd read them eventually. I knew I wouldn't, so I returned them and figured I'd just take a break of reading. But then I saw The Love Dare, and thought I'd give it a shot. And it turns out all I needed was a change of genre to renew my own love of reading.

The Love Dare is a 40 day journey meant to be read by someone with a failing marriage. Everyday it talks about a certain aspect of Love ("Love is unity," "Love is forgiving," etcetc) and then at the end it gives you a dare to perform for the day. Surprisingly, I am not in a failing marriage, but I am always looking to learn more about Love, and Life, so I was glad to read it.

The only fault I found in this book was the heavy influence on Christianty and God. Such captions as "You cannot know true love without the love of God." simply upset me. I believe the only thing you need to have to know true love is true love. And entire chapters were used just to talk about the correlation of Love and God.

But, besides that, this was a very moving book. It gives you a different outlook on Love and makes you realise just how little you appreciate it, and how to truly appreciate. How to move out of the Deappreciation room in your heart, and instead settle into the Appreciation room. How to act as the "wise farmer" and simply try to make your love grow, instead of trying to constantly change your spouse.

Truly, a great book for anyone in love with Love.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Love Dare.

07/25/2009 page 30

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Haven't read the book yet, but seen the movie. I am a Christian but I absolutely agree with you on the book's fault on "You cannot know true love without the love of God"