Ethan's Reviews > Legend

Legend by David Gemmell

M 50x66
Jul 25, 2009

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** This is not a bad book. It's pretty well written, and the characters are fairly interesting (if somewhat flat at times, but I suppose that could be blamed on the point of view, third person omniscient with a lot of shifts).

I had some difficulty with the magic monks, who seemed to be used whenever Gemmell felt like it, then discarded. You have sorcerous assassinations, sometimes, and mind-reading, sometimes, and then other stuff that just doesn't make much sense.

There are other plot points that sometimes work and sometimes don't...the traitors are active in the beginning of the fighting but then mysteriously disappear. Not particularly believable. The magic monks do a lot of mind-reading (apparently the super-powerful shaman on the bad guy side doesn't seem to know how to do that, and is unable to protect his side from the tinkerings of the magic monks...weird). Characters such as Caessa are introduced, then murdered with very little fanfare. The death of Druss in particular is very unsatisfying. Poison, ho hum.

The ending pretty much blew it for me, though. The bloodthirsty barbarians are at the last wall, then 3,000 (blood enemies of the Drenai) show up to join the Drenai cause for the flimsiest of reasons, then ghosts appear in a tunnel to help out with the fighting (huh?) then the barbarian warlord gives up after he's won, for no particular reason (I mean, at least murder the defenders to the man and sack their castle!) and then (probably the worst bit) is the resurrection of Virae for no good reason other than to have a happy ending for Rek! WTF?

Anyway, still not a terrible read, but I won't be trundling out to the store anytime soon to buy any Gemmell books.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.