CLM's Reviews > The Far Pavilions

206027
Jul 25, 2009

bookshelves: 19th-century, india, historicalfiction
Read in January, 1984

Usually, I read the book first and criticize the movie; however, here, I saw the fabulous HBO miniseries with my mother, and then read the book. I had always been fascinated by India and the Raj but it was more intense after this.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Far Pavilions.

08/28 marked as: read

Bethany "Me, too! Me, too!" I saw the miniseries years ago, and read the book after. It's not great literature, but I've read it more than once and it's a favorite. I'm sure you've read The Raj Quartet (The Jewel in the Crown) but if not, that IS great literature and shouldn't be missed.
Are you on Netflix? I should send you the names of some good Hindi films you might like!

message 2: by CLM (new) - rated it 5 stars

CLM No, I am just not home enough to watch movies so I have resisted Netflix. Plus, I think I like historical India better than contempoary India.

Bethany CLM wrote: "No, I am just not home enough to watch movies so I have resisted Netflix. Plus, I think I like historical India better than contempoary India."

The historical films are my favorites, actually. The more contemporary ones are getting Westernized and don't appeal to me much. This weekend, though, I watched one called "Mangal Pandey"--he's a national hero in India, credited with leading the uprising in 1857 (the Sepoy Mutiny). There are other, really amazing films--but I know how busy you are, and Hindi movies are ALL three hours long! Even I have to watch them in chunks.