Lori (Hellian)'s Reviews > Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

Aug 07, 09

Read in August, 2009

Rating to come.

First impressions on finishing:

I found this book so different than anything else Murakami has written. Oh yeah, it's Murakami all right - the aloneness and isolation of people, the stillness even in the craziness of what's going on. But this one was foreboding, very heavy as in pressure building in my brain while reading. For some reason it was very hard for me to read, not in the actual process of reading which was very flowing and simple, but it made me feel like I wanted to implode. Very strange. Almost unpleasant. Very much a mind fuck. But I was also compulsively driven to go back to it, even if I didn't understand it.

Most definitely not a curl up in the couch with a niiiiice pleasant read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lori (Hellian) In the middle of this, liking it but it's much too hot (80s in the house!) to read a book that's percolating with tension and pressure.

Lori (Hellian) I'm holding off on rating this. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Hmmm, that means it's probably a 4.

RandomAnthony Yeah, I agree, Lori, definitely way different than most Murakami...I wonder if he had more fun writing it, with his love of PKD, etc., than most readers did reading it.

Lori (Hellian) Heh never thought of that. I don't imagine Murakami having much fun at anything - so much existential angst!

I'm still trying to figure out why this book was almost horror to me. And it may have to do with the mind closing in, a feeling I used to have as a teen and 20yo often. In both scenarios, the nameless dude is losing access to pieces of his mind, until he's left almost selfless.