Dorothy's Reviews > The Demon's Lexicon

The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan

Jun 24, 10

bookshelves: reading-challenge-2010
Read in June, 2010

Oh my God, I feel really, really late to the bandwagon with this book. The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan is what I read while I was waiting in line to get Cassandra Clare's Clockwork Angel. I was going crazy trying to finish it because I wanted to be able to start CA on the train home, but also because I really, really wanted to know how it ended.

It follows Nick and his brother, Alan, mostly. Nick is cocky, arrogant, and quite emotionless about anyone other than his brother. They live with their eccentric (understatement) mother and tend to keep to themselves. Alan is the one who is sensible and protective--Nick tends to be rash, abrasive, and impulsive. Most of the time, it seems like the only thing he really cares about is making sure his brother is okay. Which isn't too bad, when you think about the fact that they're on the run from a Super Bad Guy who wants their mother. Throw in Mae, who Alan has a schoolgirl crush on, and Jamie, who is one bad demon dream away from being a host body for a Super Bad Demon, and you've got a full party that Nick is desperate to get rid of--and he isn't afraid to show it. It's what makes him so charming, I suppose.

Personally, I'm Team Alan.

Yes, my summary there is a little bit vague at the edges, but I do that in case there are any of you who still haven't read this book. Because if you haven't, you need to right now. I know I say this about a lot of books, but Sarah Rees Brennan has the talent of taking something mundane and making it interesting--right down to a leaky sink. And while she and I may be firmly fighting over Cassandra Clare's Jem (there may be bloodshed), I cannot deny that she has a serious talent for taking things that you might possibly be expecting and turn them upside down when you think you've figured it out. I'll admit that a few things slipped by me in this book and I was surprised (so surprised, in fact, that I cursed out my friend Devyn while we were sitting in line because he kept interrupting my reading). However, there was one "twist" in the book that I predicted as soon as Nick got on the boat. If you've read the book, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, you're just going to have to sit there clueless until you go out and get it.

I'm disappointed in myself that it took me so long to get around to this one. I remember reading the teaser on Sarah's LiveJournal months and months before the book even came out, and I distinctly remember putting it on my "To Read" list. And then I got it from the library--only to win Cassie Clare's City of Glass ARC contest and I put it aside so I could read that. Then I had to return DL only 100 pages in, and I didn't get around to it for a while. Then when my friend sent me a (yes, yes, bring on the hecklers) illegal PDF so I could finish it, Sarah snagged me on Twitter and said "Illegal things make authors weep" so I was successfully guilted into not reading it, even though I knew there was a print copy at home wrapped and waiting for me in my grandmother's Christmas closet. But I finally finished it, and I loved it.

And I guess the good thing about reading it so late in the game is that now the second book is out, so I can go out and pick that up.... once I finish the fifty books I got at BEA. Looking forward to both The Demon's Covenant and the duel for Jem's honor. *gigglesnort*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon's Lexicon.

07/25/2009 page 21
6.25% "Loving it."
08/09/2009 page 54
16.07% "Still loving it. Took a brief break to read "Shadow Magic" but now I'm picking it up again!"