John's Reviews > Misery

Misery by Stephen King

Oct 01, 2007

Read in September, 2007

This has vaulted over almost every other Stephen King book I've read to my top spot, tied with Salems' Lot. I'll have to read Salems' Lot again to see if it really as as good as I remember. Misery is great, completely engrossing.
This book reminded me of something King said in "On Writing", about the writing process. He said to him sometimes, writing was like excavating a dinosaur skeleton. You find just a rib at first, that's like the initial idea. But the whole story is there, it's just buried, and you spend the rest of the process slowly uncovering it. That's how this book felt. The initial situation is a killer idea for a book, and all the plot that came afterwards felt so natural and right. So many times in the reading of this I found myself with a big grin on my face, thinking "I never saw that coming, but of course that's what would happen!". That, again, is King's great strength. Sometimes his dialogue is a little hokey, sure, but his characters are so true, and what happens is almost always thoroughly believeable. The tension here is wonderfully high, the whole way through, even though the initial situation doesn't change that much, and I bought every word of it.
I'm glad that King is standing up to my memory so far, as I come back to him after a break of seven years or so. He's just far and away better than the rest of the pulpy writers out there.
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Misery.