Mary Anne's Reviews > The Worst Thing I've Done

The Worst Thing I've Done by Ursula Hegi

F_50x66
Aug 01, 09

Read in July, 2009, read count: 1

I picked this book up because I loved Hegi's "Stones from the River". I think that was one of the best books I ever read. "The Worst Thing I've Done" does not come close to that. It is the story of Annie, Mason, and Jake who's lives were intertwined beginning in early childhood when they lived very close together. Annie & Mason were cared for daily by Jake's mother who ran a day care. I really liked Annie and her sister Opal was a very believable character. Jake was mostly likeable, but Mason had few redeeming characteristics other than being fun loving when he was not morose. The story incorporates young love, betrayal, suicide, adultery, untimely death, homosexuality, ... It also encompasses the strength of relationships manifested by Annie's reliance on her Aunt Stormy's support. Through Aunt Stormy we also get a picture of Annie's deceased parents and how their lives intertwined. Without Aunt Stormy and her significant other, Pete, the book would be much more depressing than it is. I did like the book, but it was nowhere near the level of "Stones from the River"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Worst Thing I've Done.