Randy's Reviews > Foundling

Foundling by D.M. Cornish

Jul 24, 2009

liked it
Read in July, 2009

Got this on sale for the library at school. It was a bit slow staring, but it caught my attention so I kept turning the pages. about 60 pages in, it picked up and ended a page-turner. In a world filled with numerous monsters in conflict with humanity we enter the life of a young orphan,Rossamund. He is saddled with a girl's name and has to survive the abuse in the orphanage where he is trained for the sea. After being passed over a number of times he is finally chosen to enter a profession, but not the one he has trained for. His adult friends in the orphanage help him prepare for his entry into the working world. His adventures and fears really begin in earnest as he leaves to assume his new duties. Danger, fear, bravery, self-discovery, friendship, sadness, and respect abound in this fantastical new world set in an age similar to that of 1700s Europe with the addition of the monsters. I am excited to get the second book because I have become involved with the characters. I anticipate a rating of 4 or better on the next volume.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foundling.