Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance's Reviews > Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith

Grace (Eventually) by Anne Lamott

Jul 24, 09

Read in January, 2007

I seem to have forgotten to add this book to my book log, probably because as soon as I finished it, I started reading it again. I can’t write rationally about Lamott anyway; it’s like trying to write logically about your first junior high crush when you are thirteen. Here’s my truth about her: I try to get her books on the day they come out…I read them once and then I read them again…I try to find them on audio and listen to them again…I force other people to read her books, even agnostic friends who have taken to rolling their eyes when I say the word Lamott…I drive into Houston and pay lots of money to hear her speak at a benefit and I don’t even care…I dare to bring my Author Tablecloth to the benefit and boldly ask Lamott to autograph it…And, probably the most amazing of all, I even trudge through her fiction, wondering and wondering how someone who writes such lovely nonfiction can write such tedious fiction…Yes, I’m one of those awful creatures: a raving fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grace (Eventually).

Jeffrey May Thanks for your review. It is heartwarming after reading those critical negative ones!

A wise friend once reminded me to always be aware that when people are speaking, about ANYTHING at all, they are basically describing themselves. I am allowing myself to use this tidbit of wisdom here. You are describing yourself as a delightful, positive, hopeful person. The things in life that "work" for us can never be tiresome. Bach. Nature. Coltrane. Young children laughing and playing. I'm with you. I've also added Anne Lamott to the list. I can easily reread her books because I just feel good hanging out with her. Her mind is honest. I cannot find it in myself to be critical of an honest mind. Doesn't seem to make much sense!

Lucky you that you have also been able to meet her. She seems like someone I'd like to meet. Well ... in a most profound way, I suppose I have done just that - through her delicious books.

Be well, and thanks again for the positive words, supporting that which this world can certainly use a lot more of!

- Jeffrey