Shel's Reviews > Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes by Dashka Slater

2045382
Jul 24, 09

Slater, D. (2006). Baby Shoes. New York: Bloomsbury Children's Books.

One lucky little baby got some new shoes. Nice clean, white ones. Those shoes don't stay clean or white for long though as the baby and his mom go about their daily activities.

The illustrations are colorful and incorporate many different line shapes and angles. A few of the illustrations incorporate some fun angles and perspectives. The child consistently looks happy

I had a similar experience when I was in elementary school. So excited for my new school shoes, I wore them the last week of camp and wandered through mud, brambles and a couple of streams. My mother was not exactly pleased and had more to say than "Oh, no!"

Activities to Do with the Book:

Since there is a lot of repetition, this book lends itself to having a toddler help a parent or teacher reading the book aloud, by supplying some of the key phrases.

Since the shoes become stained by many different substances, this is also a good book to help a child learn their colors. A teacher could point to the shoes every few pages and name all of the colors they see on them.

Throughout the illustrations, there are a lot of swirling images that a young reader could trace with their finger to help with coordination.

Favorite Quotes:

“Baby's got some brand-new shoes,
white as light, stripe of blue.
He passed over all the rest,
chose the ones he liked the best."

"Baby says, "Uh-oh!"
Mama says, "Oh, no!"
But those shoes just go, go, go.

"Baby finds a puddle deep,
takes a bouncing, hopping leap."

For more of my reviews, visit sjkessel.blogspot.com.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baby Shoes.