Laura's Reviews > Paleo Cooking from Elana's Pantry: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes

Paleo Cooking from Elana's Pantry by Elana Amsterdam

Jul 13, 13

bookshelves: owned, nf, health, favorites, a-lucky-one, 13-wishes, cookbooks
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from June 22 to July 05, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: Many

I have been glued to this cookbook since the minute I purchased it. I can't praise it highly enough. I bought it because I am gluten, dairy and corn intolerant, and now, grain free, but there is something here for everyone.

I learned about the author's blog, www.elanaspantry.com, when I was diagnosed as gluten intolerant late last year. Elana generously shares tons of recipes on that site, for free. (Unlike many gluten free recipes found elsewhere, Elana's have never let me down, even though learning to bake gluten free is like learning how to bake from scratch.)

I'd heard this new book was coming out in June, but as the pickiest eater in the universe, I'd been using her blog mainly for desserts and smoothies. I didn't think a book with mostly "real food" recipes would be very useful for me. I just wanted to buy her book, because it seemed wrong to enjoy all the wonderful recipes on her blog without her receiving any compensation for her efforts. Well, I guess there is such a thing as karma, because it turned out to be the best cookbook I've ever found (and since November, I've tried lots).

Her recipes are written like the best book reviews here on Goodreads. They make you want to immediately try them. I have yet to be disappointed. Not only do they come together quickly, but they are healthy, and taste delicious. Being corn free means I have to make everything from scratch, because corn (usually the genetically modified variety) is in everything. No exaggeration. (Citric acid is almost always corn - a big surprise to me, but corn is in lots of ingredients, and most people are unaware. A good list of where to find hidden corn is here: http://www.cornallergens.com/list/cor... )

I make my own bread (Elana's Bread 2.0, comes together in 30 minutes, free at her blog), my own almond milk (recipe inside this cookbook), ketchup, I could go on and on. Her recipes make that manageable (and did I say delicious?).

Recipes I've already tried (and loved):

Stuffed mushrooms (even my picky daughter loved these - cold, from the fridge!), Paleo chocolate chip cookies (way better than the glutened toll house recipe - even my gluten-y husband agrees), flourless nut-free brownies, garlic crackers (amazing), Paleo tortillas, Paleo pancakes.

Recipes I'm dying to try:

Bagels (!!!), crepes, breakfast sausage, cauliflower rice and rice pilaf (both grain free versions based on cauliflower), sesame noodles, sesame fish sticks, Paleo mayonnaise, coconut whipped cream, tahini dressing, coconut cream tart, upside-down apple tartlets, peanut butter ice cream (dairy and peanut free!), cinnamon raisin cookies (a substitute for oatmeal raisin), ginger ale, and spicy chai.

I'm actually dying to try virtually every recipe in this book.

You don't have to have food allergies or intolerances or be following the Paleo food plan to enjoy this cookbook. There are lots of nut free, vegetarian and vegan recipes here, too. After reading this book last night, I would recommend it to anyone. Why? Fast, delicious, and healthy. What's not to like?

Edited to add: I've now tried and loved her Paleo mayonnaise, which comes together in literally 3 minutes in the food processor (if mayo doesn't emulsify, you have a big mess and a waste, but I had success with her recipe, saving me tons of money on corn free (but not grain free) Vegenaise), and I'm now hooked on cauliflower rice. It is absolutely wonderful, and goes with everything. It's now my noodle and rice substitute. Healthy and delicious and so, so easy to make.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paleo Cooking from Elana's Pantry.

06/22/2013 marked as: to-read
07/06/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new) - added it

Judy Is this the cookbook that you have been making the GF recipes from? (I like her website.)

Laura I just got it today, Judy, but I have been using her blog for many of my recipes. I felt like I needed to do something to show my gratitude, so I pre-ordered this. It's great. Grain-free tortillas! WOOT! (Hoping to use these as hot dog rolls)....and lots of other good stuff. Definitely worthwhile, IMO.

message 3: by Judy (new) - added it

Judy Oooo...I want that recipe!! Corn-free too? Huh. What flour does she use?

Laura I think that one calls for coconut flour and eggs as the main ingredients. I can't remember if you can eat eggs?

Laura If you want more info, PM me!

message 6: by Judy (new) - added it

Judy Aw can't have the coconut flour. :-(

Laura Oh drat. I just remembered that. Ugh. I wonder if you could substitute almond? I know that coconut requires lots of water add, while almond is pretty moist going in....maybe a different flour more comparable to the coconut would work?

Argh. We do have our crosses, don't we? I know we all do, but man....what a pain this can be at times.

I have another recipe for wraps that is chia flour and quinoa flake flour...maybe that one would work for you. It's kind of like a thick crepe when finished. But with a green tint, due to the chia seed flour.

message 8: by Judy (new) - added it

Judy That would probably work (quinoa and chia flour). We use quinoa products when we can. I'll have to keep an eye out for chia flour. Would you mind e-mailing or PM-ing the recipe to me? Thx!

Laura For chia flour, just grind up chia seeds. I use the Magic Bullet. I've not seen chia flour - which doesn't mean it doesn't exist!

I can send it to you. I'll have to get it together.

message 10: by Judy (new) - added it

Judy No hurry, just when you get the chance. I imagine you are pretty busy this morning. Good idea about grinding the chia seeds! Probably a lot cheaper than buying the flour.

message 11: by HuhWhat (new)

HuhWhat Is there room at yours for one more guinea pig LOL ?!?! All that found sounds yum !!

Laura It is soooooo good. Always room for more guinea pigs, hehe.

message 13: by HuhWhat (new)

HuhWhat I've added her website to go back and check out later :)

Laura You'll find tons of stuff. Seriously. And so easy to make!

message 15: by Teresa (new) - added it

Teresa Lukey IF you haven't discovered nourishingmeals.com you need to check it out.

Laura Thanks, Teresa, I will!