Karyn's Reviews > The Secret

The Secret by Julie Garwood

Aug 10, 2009

bookshelves: historical-romance, 2009-n-before, will-read-again, all-time-favourites
Read in July, 2009 , read count: 2

Go read this book.
This is a story of two 4-year-old girls who “became friends before they were old enough to understand they were supposed to hate each other.” Judith is English while Francis Catherine is Scottish.

Years later Francis Catherine is pregnant and she sends her husband's brother, the Laird of the Maitlands to get Judith from England in keeping with their long ago promise to be there during the birth.
Iain, the Laird comes to bring Judith to Maitland Land, and the two fall for each other during the journey. Sparks fly between these two amidst their constant verbal sparring and trying not to care for each other but unable to control the attraction.
Iain is one hot Laird – he’s arrogant, used to getting his way, but also honourable and with a protective streak, specially towards Judith.
Judith is a strong willed, stubborn and loving.
Read this book – it makes awesome reading. You’ll be laughing a lot.

Francis Catherine on pregnancy:
"Once they get married, the papa spits into his goblet of wine and then he makes the mama take a big drink. As soon as she swallows, she's got a baby in her stomach."

Judith: "Mama says I shouldn't even want to talk to the damn Scots."
Francis Catherine: "Papa, am I damn Scots?"
Francis Catherine’s father: "You most certainly are not."
"Am I?" Judith asked, her worry obvious in her voice.
"You're English, Judith," her friend's papa patiently explained.
Judith: "Am I damn English?"
Her friend's papa was clearly exasperated. "Nobody's damn anything,"

The perfect proposal:
The moment needed to be perfect for her. "Judith," he began.
"Yes, Iain?"
"I'm keeping you."

Francis Catherine: "Did you marry Iain?"
Judith: "I think so.'"
Francis Catherine: "What do you mean, you think so?"
Judith: "Graham was standing between us. I might have married him. No, I'm certain it was Iain. He kissed me after… Graham didn't."

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret.

07/27/2009 page 293