Kate's Reviews > Heart of Darkness

Jul 23, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, literary-fiction
Read in August, 2009

What can I say? It's beautiful. Pretty words make lovely sentences. If they're each taken individually. The first two sections are pretty good: a steamboat captain gets a commission in Africa. He's taken in by the intrigue and captivated by the description of Kurtz who's not particularly moral but is apparently a phenomenal orator and astonishing philosopher, though possibly a bit not right in the head, but our narrator develops an overwhelming fascination and admiration for this as yet unmet man.

The third section however falls apart. We finally meet Kurtz, but both to my disappointment and relief he barely speaks at all, let alone says anything enlightening, not even one boring monologue. And Conrad decides to use the words "heart" and "darkness" both together and separately at least twice on every page which is condescendingly obnoxious.

Then at last we come to the end. If he'd put a little more effort into it he may have possibly been able to squeeze a little more male chauvinism into it. But probably not. Bleh!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Darkness.