skein's Reviews > An Old-Fashioned Girl

An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott

Jul 29, 09

bookshelves: 2-star
Read in July, 2009

I cannot in good conscience give this more than two stars - it's still 'moral pap for the young' as Alcott once described some of her own writing - but it's a far work, less episodic, more ambiguous, better written, and less goody-two-shoes than Little Women. & I totally enjoyed the snarky asides referencing that first book - my favorite being - when "intimidated by the threats, denunciations, and complaints showered upon me in consequence of taking the liberty to end a certain story as I liked, I now yield to the amiable desire of giving satisfaction, and, at the risk of outraging all the unities, intend to pair off everybody I can lay my hands on."

My favorite would-be pairing is left unpaired, but that's a only little pain. Two stars, Ms. Alcott! Excellent work.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Old-Fashioned Girl.

07/29/2009 "Is it so wrong that I have Nirvana's 'Polly' in my head while I read?"
07/29/2009 "Also, 'blah blah blah happiness is better than money, kids!' Well, sure. But I wouldn't mind being rich."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Briynne (new)

Briynne I think I read this when I was a kid - if memory serves, it's sugary-sweet enough to give cavities. I'll be interested to see what you think seeing that you gave Little Women 2 stars!

skein Oh, I enjoy Little Women - I just don't think it's very good :)

message 3: by Briynne (new)

Briynne e. wrote: "Oh, I enjoy Little Women - I just don't think it's very good :)"

haha...that's probably fair. :)