Sarah's Reviews > To Scotland, With Love

To Scotland, With Love by Karen Hawkins

Jul 23, 09

bookshelves: historical, romance, regency, 2009, 19thc
Read in July, 2009

I really enjoyed this. I wrote about it in my LJ, and I’m just going to copy/paste that to save me time.

… was actually pretty good, and I picked it up because I thought it would be one of those ridiculous Scottish romances with the och ayes and I cannae luv ye, sweetings in it. There was even a woman who appeared to be wearing a half-slip and a teal tartan on the cover and the stepback had surprisingly tanned people on it. As in it looked like their armpits were probably tan. How do you end up with a tanned armpit? You don’t.

What book is this? To Scotland, With Love by Karen Hawkins, a Regency. Venetia (silly name, yes, but her parents are very silly people) is tricked into accompanying one of her suitors to Scotland, from where she is staying in her family’s London house, because her suitor is in desperate straits and thinks that abducting her and forcing her to marry him at Gretna Green will bring some financial calm. He does this by flat out lying to her about her mother being close to death at her grandmother’s castle in Scotland. Never fear! This is not the hero of the book. The hero of the book, Gregor, who has been her best friend since childhood, races after their coach, in order to avert ruin. Only his family is cursed in such a way that when they get angry, it storms. (Yes, I know, very silly.) And he’s pissed at what this suitor has done! Because it’s really kind of uncouth! So there’s a blizzard. And the coach crashes and they are all stranded at a country inn under assumed names to avoid scandal. Things proceed from there, with Gregor going, “I will marry you to save your honor, because I am just so damned noble” and Venetia responding, “Who cares about my honor? Marry me for me, you dolt.” Paraphrased, of course.

It was fun and quirky and just a touch silly. I really appreciated that the heroine was in her 30s (yes, her 30s!) and that this didn’t take place in the London season. Nice friends to lovers story, more character driven than plot driven. Nobody wrapped their hands around their lover’s neck, which was a big relief, as this is something that has been popping up a lot in my reading lately.

OK, and maybe I liked it a lot because the heroine looks a lot like I do. Short, plump, dark brown hair that curls in humidity and shows red in the sun? Occasionally opens her big mouth when she ought not? I’m a trifle ashamed, but a part of me crowed inside as each detail was revealed. Hooray for short, fat heroines!

Of course, neither the girl on the cover nor on the stepback matches the description given in the book. They’re both decidedly thin, and I’m pretty sure the hero would describe them as scrawny.

Or maybe I just liked it a lot because none of these Scottish people used outlandish accents? And neither did the lower class characters. Not an och aye among them!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Scotland, With Love.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rouginette (new)

Rouginette hey, do you know if it is translated in French? Thank you.