Scarlett Sims's Reviews > The Castle of Otranto and the Man of Feeling, A Longman Cultural Edition

The Castle of Otranto and the Man of Feeling, A Longman Cultu... by Horace Walpole

Jul 24, 09

liked it
bookshelves: medieval, historical-fiction, horror, leisure, classic, scholarly
Read in July, 2009

This edition consists of two short 18th century novels along with a bit of criticism and cultural context. I checked it out because I wanted to read the Castle of Otranto, the first ever "gothic novel." I liked that one much better than The man of Feeling because of the gothic and supernatural aspects. The language wasn't too hard to read, and someone had annotated in the margins, although most of her annotations were simply exclamatory reactions to her distaste for the personalities of the characters. The second book was more difficult for me to read because of the flowery language and discontinuity of the narrative. There were some interesting things at the end of the book, I found the notes on the Hardwicke Act most captivating and there were also some excerpts from Burke.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Castle of Otranto and the Man of Feeling, A Longman Cultural Edition.